How can we improve SQL Prompt?

Enhancement to "Warning on delete and update statements if no WHERE clause is specified" (clarified)

This is a clarification to an earlier post. (https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/13543761-enhancement-to-warning-on-delete-and-update-state)

This is a great idea, but I was surprised by the number of "false positives" I am getting (and yes, I can just mute the messages completely).

In my case I am doing a lot of updates/deletes on permanent tables with joins to temporary tables or table variables and that limits the update/delete scope.

Can you add to this feature so that messages will not be emitted if there is a join to a temporary table or table variable?

For example...
Update dbo.RealTable
Set SomeData = tt.SomeData
From dbo.RealTable As rt
Inner Join @TempTable As tt On tt.Id = rt.Id

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BrentC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using SQL Prompt version 8.0.1.1383 and don't see this as an option. Was it removed in version 8?

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having experienced this, it is a little annoying. But, when I was doing a few mass updates, the FROM clause and other JOINS did not limit the scope of my query. I added a new column and I wanted every row updated to the appropriate value. So I would argue that it's not the same as having a where clause. I didn't mind the warning because before I was completely paranoid that I would hit Ctrl-E by accident before I put a where clause on my statement.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An inner join is implicitly a Where clause so it makes perfect sense to allow one to be considered as criteria being supplied.

Feedback and Knowledge Base