How can we improve SQL Prompt?

Support for PDW (Parallel Data Warehouse, aka APS)

Work at a company where we're adopting PDW. It would be great if I could get intellisense in PDW.

58 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike FulkersonMike Fulkerson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Aaron LawAaron Law responded  · 

We’ve just released a new SQL Prompt 7.2 beta which will offer suggestions when connected to both Parallel Data Warehouse and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.

We’ll continue to add new suggestions over the next few weeks (as well as remove some suggestions that are no longer valid). If you have any particular statements that you’d like us to prioritise please let us know.

You can find out more and download the beta from here: https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=79442

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aaron LawAdminAaron Law (Software Engineer, Redgate) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Anthony,

For SQL Prompt 7.2 we're just focusing on implementing code suggestions when connected to PDW. Formatting PDW syntax seems like a logical next step but we haven't got any firm plans for when that'll happen.

• Anthony PerkinsAnthony Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you. This is positively brilliant.

Are there any plans to extend the functionality of "Format SQL" to support the APS/PDW SQL syntax?

For example, currently you cannot use "Format SQL", if you use code like the following:
        create remote table MyMatabase.dbo.MyTable at ('Data Source = x.x.x.x; User ID = UserName; Password = MyPassword') as

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, is there any feedback regarding this? Is PDW support an option in the near future?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that there is no intellisense in PDW yet. But is there any third party tools that I can use?

• Ken BooneKen Boone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, Chris. I didn't realize how much I relied on SQL Prompt until I lost it working with PDW.

Feedback and Knowledge Base