Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

638 results found

1. Currently there is no way to tell Code Analysis to ignore this specific object for a specific rule which has led to several false positives and wasted time re-investigating how to address the issue in the object only to come to the same conclusion as before that this is one of the rare cases where breaking that rule is ok.

My example is we have one stored procedure out of a thousand where the use of a NVARCHAR(2) makes sense and is actually more efficient then switching to a NCHAR(2) for what the code needs to do. Unfortunately the procedure…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Please add support for
    SQL Prompt Support for Azure Synapse (Azure SQL Data Warehouse)

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. "Script as INSERT" creates an INSERT script with a tempt table, but instead it should script the current used table.
    In that way you can easily write scripts to synchronize your data between different environments.
    Thank you

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. It would be nice to have colored lines that visually enhance the start / end of a while / if statement

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Consider I've got a variable of varchar(35)

I perform an update on a column of varchar(10), it should suggest that there will be a truncation

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I'm running a dark theme in visual studio. When the suggestions pop up they are very bright.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When using a BEGIN/END block, the "Insert Semicolons" feature adds a semicolon after "END" command, but not after the "BEGIN" command.

One reason why this should be done, is the use of the THROW statement, which requires the previous statement to be terminated with a semicolon.

Technically it is still runnable code, but, SSMS (as of version 18.8) sees it as a syntax error (see screenshot).

I don't know which is the appropriate fix...waiting for SSMS to fix the syntax error it shows (but I doubt they will since the non-use of semicolons is deprecated), or if it's appropriate for…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Aligning based on column-alias makes for much better readability. When turned OFF, because some long-named table's alias pushes the TABLE-alias way to the right, all other table aliases follow it...into the NON-VISIBLE area (when using multiple vertical tabs).

Please SEPARATE these into TWO options:
    . Align Column Aliases - on/off
    . Align Table Aliases - on/off

THERE IS A BUG TO FIX HERE TOO: If a UDF is bounded by "--SQL Prompt formatting off/on" the TABLE ALIAS position REMAINS as if the UDF's alias was in it's SQL Prompt position, NOT where the excluded code has it! NASTY.

You could…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. We cannot treat UDF parameter listing/indentation in similar vein to Stored Procedure call formatting. All "Functions", be they UDF or built-in, are lumped into the same four RESTRICTIVE options on the "Function calls" page, and we have no "parentheses style" options for them.

We need:
    1. Separation by type (UDF vs. Built-in).
    2. Global ==> Parentheses, to apply to UDFs, by our choice.

Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Have the ability to delete duplicate scripts in the Tab History. Example I may open a stored procedure to look at it or modify then close and then it is stored in the Tab History as Closed. But then in a few days or so I open the same store procedure and do the same thing it is now in the Tab History also. I have made no changes to either day it is open then closed but, it's in the Tab History twice. Now think about this over a few months. That Tab History grows with duplicate scripts.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. It would be very handy if there was a way when you open a server in Object Explorer that it pops up with notes about that server. For instance, there is a job we have on EVERY server in our environment except one random server that no one hardly thinks about. But if that job is there, then it messes up things. It would be great if when anyone on our team who has redgate sql prompt opens that server they get a reminder that we add on there that says some special note (in this case “DO NOT ADD…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Currently SQL Prompt displays suggestions for auto-completing literal strings. These are never valid suggestions so can this be turned off (or at least have an option to turn this off)?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please could you add an option to check for invalid objects in multiple databases and to be able to export the results in either a single file or 1 per database. It's a real pain doing 1 at a time and manually selecting the results to do a copy/paste.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Have Formal SQL Actions be included in the formatting style file. This way when a team shared a standard we do not have to share the file and screen shots of the Options menu to manually sync to maintain team consistency on code checkin.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Hi, this is not related to SQL Prompt only, but to the update process in general.
    As our company firewall is blocking the link in Help "Check for updates ...", I have to submit the "Download a 28 days trial" form and download the full "SQLToolbelt.exe".
    Which is also blocked by the company proxy rules. :-(
    So I have to download the file on my private PC and then copy it to my business machine.
    I assume, my company is not the only one with such precautionary measures.
    Maybe you can implement additional options to download updates.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please can the "Add quotes and commas" action conform to the current active style's Commas setting?

So if the setting is "Place commas before items", then the action should also place the commas before.

At the moment, I have to run a Format SQL action after using Add quotes and commas, which is cumbersome.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. SQL Prompt should fully support Azure SQL Managed Instances. This includes offering suggestions for all objects (such as system functions, tables, views, etc) which are usable in Managed Instances. For example, CURRENTTIMEZONE and CURRENTTIMEZONE_ID (which were recently implemented in SQL Prompt, but only for Azure SQL Database). All other functions I've tried seem to be working fine, but it would be nice to know that Azure SQL Managed Instance is officially supported by SQL Prompt.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2011/06/fixing-sql-server-management-studios-tab-text/

Brent Ozar wrote this tip back in 2011 and I cant believe i've been struggling with the horrible SSMS tabs every day for my whole career. would be great if SQL prompt has a button to change these settings for you or defaults these options when you install it.

the main reason being that they are buried away and if I wasnt aware of them then i'm sure many others aren't.

at the end of every day i have about 10 tabs open and i just close the whole lot because it's too hard and to go through them…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Currently in Visual Studio the option to "Enclose identifiers within square brackets []" option will be set to true on startup requiring a user to turn it off every time they load Visual Studio.

This option when set to false should remain that way even after a restart of Visual Studio the same way it does in SSMS.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When joining two tables, you today get the option to join on known references or identical column names.

What I would like to see is an extra join option in the suggestions, if both the columns are NULLable:

SELECT * FROM table1
    INNER JOIN table2 ON (table2.ref1ID = table1.ref1ID OR (table2.ref1ID IS NULL AND table1.ref1ID IS NULL)

The above example might seem like rubbish at first! But sometimes when you have composite keys, one of the columns in the key might very well be a NULLable value.

So a more valid example would be:

SELECT * FROM table1
    INNER JOIN…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here