Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

639 results found

1. Microsoft SQL Operations Studio is in preview mode and shows a lot of potential. I would probably switch from SSMS right now if SQL Prompt was supported. Please add SQL Prompt!

293 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Prompt for Azure Data Studio is now in public preview!

The aim of this public preview is to learn from the ADS community about how SQL Prompt can enhance your developer experience, adding improvements and new features based on your feedback.

With SQL Prompt, you can use an extensive collection of code snippets to write your SQL code quickly and efficiently. You can also keep your code consistent using the powerful formatting capability, with the ability to customise the applied style to suit your preferences.

We’d love to hear your feedback. You can get in touch with the team either via the new SQL Prompt in ADS forum: https://forum.red-gate.com/categories/sql-prompt-in-ads or email us at sqlprompt.in.ads@red-gate.com.

Get started with SQL Prompt for Azure Data Studio now. Download it here: https://download.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLPromptADS.zip

2. I see that Azure data studio support is on the roadmap, but cannot see any reference to the MacOS / Linux versions of Azure data studio?
    Would be great to not have to boot up Windows to get to the awesome speed and power which SQL Prompt provides.

125 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Prompt currently needs a database connection to retrieve objects/suggestions from, which it gets from a database project's "Target Connection String".

It would be better if prompt loaded suggestions directly from the sql files in the project without needing the database.

105 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Thomas Walsh responded

Thank you for your suggestion.

We’ve reviewed this as part of our UserVoice triage.

Due to a lack of recent interest in this request, we are no longer actively reviewing it and have removed it’s “Under Review” status.

If you feel strongly about having this feature added to Prompt, please continue to vote for and comment on this request.

Kind Regards,
    The Prompt Team

4. 1)Automatically name tabs generated by modifying a stored procedure in the Object Explorer. I noticed you added the functionality to right-click on a procedure name in-line and generate an ALTER script. That's AWESOME, and even more awesome is the fact that the tab is named by default. Usually tabs in SMS have some dynamically-generated name that's useless.
    2) add ability to rename a tab without saving the contents of the tab. Just a right-click->Rename
    3) Hovering over a tab should give you a pop-up with the first dozen or so lines of text in that tab.

101 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I would be nice to have an option i behavior to automatically finding unused variables and parameters. (like suggestions / definitions)

85 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Visual Studio Code has the ability to connect to SQL servers and execute scripts. It would be nice if SQL Prompt was available for Code as well.

82 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. After spending some time refreshing my memory on implicit conversions, and the potentially disasterous affects on performance, the thought hit me...

Wouldn't it be great if SQL Prompt could hightlight potential implicit conversions when I write JOINS or WHERE statements?

I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement but I know everyone at Red Gate is very intelligent and highly creative so you'll find a way. :-)

68 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Work at a company where we're adopting PDW. It would be great if I could get intellisense in PDW.

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Setting the option to use spaces instead of tabs for intending (our house policy) only works for new tab presses.
    I would like a simple action that would replace all tabs in the current document with spaces -- using the tab-to-spaces value as set in options. Sublime Text has this and I use practically every time I edit anything.

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enhance Smart Rename to accept a list of name changes.

Even if it runs the existing smart rename and concatenates the scripts it would save a lot of data entry time versus doing each change one at a time.

You should require fully qualified names in the import data to avoid ambiguity errors.

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re going to be reviewing this over the next couple of months, which would be released via the SQL Prompt for Teams EAP (get in touch if you want to know more).

In the meantime please add any other information that you think would be useful.

11. I don't want to use brackets for my code (unless I have to). So, for example, dbo.Orders is fine, but dbo.Order isn't. It would be nice if SQL prompt caught this and automatically enclosed the SQL Keyword "Order" in square brackets (i.e. dbo.[Order] AS o)

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I would love to be able to compare the contents of two tabs (maybe by using a third party program that is run on the temp files).

This would save me the time of having to save them down to files before using a tool like diffmerge or...

Please consider this!

Thx for great products.

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Sometime, my sql query script have too much nested condition and I need to see the indent guides line like this image:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qmpRo6zwZTo/U6EzoIkdw7I/AAAAAAAAAYs/ctAXWq5nPwc/w725-h316-no/Untitled.png
    It would be awesome if you include this feature in this product.

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide an option in Styles to let the right hand side of clauses in UPDATE statement be aligned.

Example:

UPDATE~~EDSV
    SET~~~~~eDocSessionID~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=~CONSV.eDocSessionID~,
    ~~~~~~~~eDocSessionKey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=~CONSV.eDocSessionKey~,
    ~~~~~~~~eDocSessionValue~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=~CONSV.eDocSessionValue~,
    ~~~~~~~~eDocSessionValueTextStyleOverride~=~CONSV.eDocSessionValueTextStyleOverride~,
    ~~~~~~~~eDocSessionValuePositionOverride~~=~CONSV.eDocSessionValuePositionOverride~,
    ~~~~~~~~eDocSessionValueLockdown~~~~~~~~~~=~''
    FROM~~~~eDocStd2.dbo.eDocSessionValues~AS~EDSV
    ~~~~~~~~INNER~JOIN~#changedOrNewSessionValues~AS~CONSV~ON~CONSV.eDocSessionID~=~EDSV.eDocSessionID
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AND~CONSV.eDocSessionKey~=~EDSV.eDocSessionKey;

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Summarize script is sort-of useful as a way to see script blocks easily, but it will be BRILLIANT if it was a dockable (not modal) window that you very quickly select the script blocks in the editor.

I often select parts of a script or subqueries to run - if Summarize Script automatically selected them for me it would be a huge productivity boost: 1-click selection + F5 = AWESOME!

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. In SSMS 2016 you can now Pin tabs. When you close and re-open SSMS, it would be good if Tab History could remember, and restore, the pin status for each of the tabs as they are being restored.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to sync/store tab history in the cloud, network share, or online share (aka One drive, Google drive, dropbox, etc.) That way you don't loose your history when you upgrade or change your computer and have to start all over again. It would also be nice to be able to sync between multiple computers.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add the ability to define groups of tabs that are used regularly for different jobs. For instance--there is a group of scripts I use for month end processing and a completely different set of scripts I typically have open for daily processing. Monthly statement preparation and troubleshooting comprise another set of scripts. I'd like to be able to name groups of tabs and retrieve them based on that named grouping, while still being able to go back to what I was doing before the "interruption" that caused me to need a different set of tabs open.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When joining views, the only suggestions currently available are for columns with the same name. It would be nice if, for simple enough views, SQL Prompt looked at the underlying tables for foreign key constraints and use them in the suggestions.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please add support for
    SQL Prompt Support for Azure Synapse (Azure SQL Data Warehouse)

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?