Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. Would it be possible to add under the Commit-comment field a dropdown or list which shows the data of a TFS-"Team Query"?
    We have implemented a "CheckIn"-Query which shows the developer his open Tasks/Bugs/... so that he can just select out of this list while checking in the pending changes.
    Entering the IDs manually is annoying and most of the developers don't do it because they have to go to the TFS first, catch the ID go back to SQL Server Management Studio and write the text.
    In VisualStudio this works fine - the developers just change the tab and…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. We've got around 2000 objects (tables, views, SPs, etc) and retrieving the entire list (from SVN and the DB) seems to take forever (and actually takes around 30 seconds). Too long. Cache, and refresh on demand, or prior to commit / get latest (i.e. when it matters if the objects are the latest).

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The ability to maintain replication (scripts) as a source control object.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. The migration scripts that are generated don't fit in well to the other code that SQL Compare generates to update a database. In general, the SQL Compare script will have the script that SQL Compare generated, followed by the migration script, and then more SQL Compare generated script. SQL Compare will wrap its sections with BEGIN TRAN and COMMIT TRAN, and have lots of error handling, but the migration script has no error handling and is not part of the larger transactions. This can cause problems where the scripts succeed partially and it can be hard to recover from that.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Maybe it is a bug. But code like

DROP SIGNATURE FROM dbo.mySP
    BY CERTIFICATE [myCertficate];

is not recognized as a change. Please consider to support this

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. While viewing the history log you can't go to the main SSMS window. This is an issue if you want to look at source code history side by side with another window.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add option like SQL Search application for quick acces to object

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I develop and have to switch between multiple databases and the source control tab keeps following the database I am on. When I want to commit changes I have to stay put otherwise I keep losing the progress looking for changes. It would be nice to have the option of which database we are looking at from the tab itself, instead of from the SQL Management Studio one

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Today, my Windows C: device was 99% full. During the search of the biggest files (which were the Windows/assembly/ folder) I noticed gigabytes of SQL Source Control files! Back to Source Control Version 3.x and 4.x even though we already updated to 5.x. Source Control does not clean up old files.

Directories I found old Source Control files:

C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations\
    C:\ProgrammData\Downloaded Installations\
    C:\Users...\AppData\Local\Red Gate\

Please provide a function do uninstall all those old files that occupy even gigabytes of disk space storage. Thank you!

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I have my database linked to source control, and if I make a change to a schema, it shows a blue dot in the Object Explorer to indicate there are pending changes. However the same does not apply to static data – if I change some data in a table that is setup for static data source control, there is no icon to indicate there are changes to be committed. The data change does appear when I go to the commit changes tab however.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I think it would be nice if SQL Source Control (or Red Gate in general, in case it is useful across other products) had its own config database. This would be the one location to store all information related to this product, instead of storing some information in a database (v3.1 RG_AllObjects table), some in .xml config files, and some as extended properties on the database.

I would much rather create one database (that I could specify on install, instead of having to go into a config file and change it from TempDB) that I could host of a single…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Changing the Lock Escalation property of a table in SQL 2008 SSMS is not detected as a change by SQL Source Control.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. As my Windows C: partition has quite low free space I regularly inspect what files occupy considerably amount of space. Since I have SQL SourceControl installed, there are hundreds of MBs occupied in addition! The reason is, that SQLSourceControl creates log files and stores them in

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen<userid>\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 1

This is bad and SQL Source Control should offer a configuration/option/preferences feature to set the directory for these log files (and if log files should be created at all!).

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I develop locally on a laptop. If I want to develop remotely and forget to turn on VPN before I open SSMS and select a database, SQL Source Control has a fit because it can't find the repository. In fact, it becomes unusable until I've connected to the repository and unlink and relink the database in source control.

An offline mode would detect if the repository was unavailable and merely track changes until the repository is available again.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When you get conflict when commiting changes it would be nice to be able to right click and open proc/table in new sql editor, do you change (merge) and continue.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It would be great to be able to commit a change directly from within the query editor window. For example, right click within an 'alter procedure' statement, for example, and then 'commit change'. A dialogue box would allow a comment to be entered, and then the commit would take place in the background.

This would give a very quick workflow for doing commits without breaking out into a different UI.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Currently, when comparing an SSDT project using SQL Compare, it only loads the base project. If the project references another project as the same database (the standard workaround to the circular reference problem), the objects in the referenced project will not be compared. This can lead to changes being missed and deployments failing.

It would be nice if SQL Compare could follow the reference back and include the objects from the referenced database in the compare as well.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. If I exclude items from source control they should not default to be committed due to dependencies. It would be great if there was a setting when items are excluded to never include them in the list of items that are dependencies.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We are a shop that have multiple systems for clients that we managed from within a single database, using a separate Schema for each system.

I would like to be able to link a TFS database to a filtered list of objects (preferably) an entire schema but I could see where others might like just a subset of other objects.

If this is currently possible please let me know but I do not see a way to accomplish this without having a separate database for each system per client.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?