Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. When unlinking and linking the database again with a new link path, you loose the ability to view the history. In Subversion clients like TortoiseSVN there's a Checkbox which let you se the history. Would bee great if SQL Source Control cold support that feature too, instead of having to go via TortoiseSVN each time I want to se the history of a certain object.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. First of all I am very happy with the filter in source control
    But is it possible to save and load a filter, I have to set the filter for each server
    This will save a lot of work if I have the possibility to save and load

Thanks

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I would like to see more meta data columns on the migration script window. Name and Date create come to mind. Also tagging for specific environments (QA, Prep, etc)

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add preemptive error checking.
    One of our challenges is that it is too easy to break the get latest functionality. If a developer renames a column but doesn't rename all references (because he forgot to use Smart Rename) he is essentially breaking the database build. If I use Continues Integration to build the latest SQL changes, I have no bullet-proof way of ensuring that my database compiles at all time. I would like to ask Redgate to not allow a check-in which will break the build. I imagine that all that needs to be done is to ensure that first…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. So, I install the tool to use with a real-world database of 1GB. And all I get are Out-of-Memory exceptions when trying to add data. Or even just run the tool. This is one of the worst software experiences that I've ever had!

Did I just get a buggy version? 3.0.13.4214

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I still have SSMS Tools Pack installed because of one useful feature that I have not seen in Red-Gate's products. Search Results in Grid Mode. Find all occurrences of your search string in the results in datagrid mode.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. We have to carefully create schema release scripts and coordinate them with code deploys in order to maintain compatibility, so we often have "pre" and "post" schema scripts. The "pre" scripts are run before code, and the "post" scripts are run after code.

In our cases, the 'post' deploy scripts are generally just cleanup of schema, removal of things that are no longer referenced by the code. This includes removal of any "backward compatibility" that is no longer needed. It could be dropping tables or columns, or removal of a column from the SELECT output of a stored procedure.

Currently…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Changing a filter adds it to the commit tab, but the filter changes cannot be undone - which is a catch 22. If you ever want to undo filters so you can do some manipulation you should be able to undo these changes.

So, the suggestion is either
    1. Add undo functionality on a filter
    or
    2. Add enable\disable functionality to filter

I think undo should be there, because once it's in the commit changes tab there is no way out - unless you either unlink and link again or just commit or even worse, put the changes back manually

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When committing changes it would be nice to be able to mark changed items as "Covered / Included in existing migration script" so that they are not checked into source control. I am specifically talking about uncommitted schema changes. For example, transferring a table to a different schema. SQL Source Control sees this as a drop (from old schema) and create (in new schema), but there are times when it should be an ALTER SCHEMA statement in order not to lose the data from the table. The ALTER SCHEMA can be added to an existing migration script instead of creating…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a button to "Unlink, Delete my cache, Relink" so when support asks you to perform that function, it just takes the user 1 step.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Have the server name of the database (I.E. DEV, TEST, PRODUCTION, etc.) displayed to the right of the database name.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We have a fairly long list of source controlled databases whose changes may affect a developer's local environment. Right now they have to click each database and get latest. It'd be great if they could right-click at the server level and choose "Get Latest Changes From Source Control ..." at that level. It would then pull all the changes for all the databases. I suppose the Get Latest window would have to have a database column.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I am trying to pick my tables for the static data feature I just dound and i'm using "explore data" to find the table I want to store the data for. The popup however is modal so I cant scroll the data explorer without saving the ones I just ticked.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. It could be helpful to indicate with an icon what is the databases source control system. For instance, git icon for git source controlled databases, TFS icon for TFS and VSOnline source controlled databases, etc..

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We have thousands of tables (some with millions of rows) with only 90-100 static data tables.

At the moment, I have to edit the project; untick all then tick 90-100 manually which is very time consuming.

If there was some extended property or search item or project option to “link” static data tables ONLY – this would be a huge time saver.

Thanks for your response.

Regards

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Someone in my team linked one of our test environment's databases to his source control. He was in a feature branch and just performed a "Get Latest" on the dB..... Now we have to reimplement the integrated changes. Please display the Server name in the setup window to avoid confusion and make sure this is clear.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. With SQL, when you modify an object, that object is now out there to be used or tweaked by other developers. Committing it is really just a statement of, I'm done working with this object and here's what I've done.

We have the problem of not committing objects as timely as we should. We make a modification and go our way until we realize a week later, we forgot to commit. So we commit, but the date time stamp of the commit is not helpful. That is just when the developer remembered.

I think it would be much, much more…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It is very hard to do manual database link to repository/SVN if dealing with large number of databases (200 plus within one team) across large number of source control group. Every team member has to spend time and carefully map repository folder.

One user perform manual link to repository and his/her/ setting validated by QA Team before distributing link config file (xml) to the user group.

The basic requirement is user should be connected with the DB server and pass the repository path and credential. you may design few screen to navigate and collect user input based on provider input…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Currently there is not easy way to see or restore a deleted object that was committed. The object code is still in Source Control - but no easy way to see or restore it using SSMS.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. At current we have SQL source control running in a remote environment. However, a DB - SVN link is stored for each user account, and is not transparent to the other developers.

Worse yet, with each developer having their own workcopy in their local profile, the same data will be duplicated several times. Also: conflicts will arise since each workspace updates on its own, while the DB might already be updated from another workspace.

Therefor: Suggest to keep 1 workspace per DB, to prevent issues of multiple workspaces or repositories linked to the same DB.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 29 30