Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. Would like to be able to track the server-level security in source control. Logins, Server Roles, etc.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I have several encrypted stored procedures. The SSMS plugin is able to decrypt them so that I can submit them to source control, but I don't see a way to directly edit them from SSMS. My current solution is to create a local copy from subversion and checkout procedures from there and check them back in with my changes. Which makes me wonder why I need the RedGate plugin at all. I love that the RedGate plugin allows me to do all of my commits directly from SSMS and not have to use an external program.

I wish there was…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I often have to put together a changelist that essentially lists the affected objects (tables, SPs, etc.) for documentation purposes. In Tortoise, I can highlight one or more revisions then in a separate page, shift or control select several or all items and hit Control-C to copy that as text. Then I can paste it and get a nice long list of table names, SP names etc like this:

SomeTable
    AnotherTabl
    uspmyStoredProc
    usp
    SomeoneElsesSP

It's something I use for documentation and it just would make life so much easier. Not sure if it's a big deal to make that…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We couple applications with schemas, not databases. It would be great to link source control to just one schema, rather than the entire database. This way, we can source the code for the application and the database in the same branch

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I would like to be able to copy the Filters to different databases, or have a Filter template which I can save to apply to other databases. There are many objects which I do not want to be moved from Development, QA, Integration and Production. Currently, I generated the XML using a query with sys.databases and saved it to DifferenceFilters.xml which is a pain.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. It is very annoying that Source Control always recreates a table, just because I change a computed column instead to drop / recreate only the column (the FORCE-COLUMN-ORDER option is set to false so this could not be the reason).

Particulary if it is on one of your big tables with lots of indexes, FKs ...

I know there may be reasons to recreate a table if you add / drop / alter columns (because of possible page splits) but I want to decide it by myself (e.g. by adding a migration script for this rare cases)

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When linking static data to source control the unicode characters are appearing as question marks
    so please add the support for the unicode characters in the script files

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Presently a standalone migration script runs before the main block. This seems odd as the point is to migrate data and for that you need schema to be in place.

I would like to be able to add standalone migration scripts to the end of the main block.

We ship databases with some data populated. (This is not simple static data that can be managed using linked tables). We ship for example some out the box entities such as Roles, A base User, a base Organization etc. They have circular references so to insert we have to turn off table…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When we look on the Commit tab at all the changes which have been made to our test environment, it would be useful to be able to see if objects are still being worked on (and who by). Could we have a column next to "Last changed by" to indicate the user who has the object locked?

For example, if one of our developers is still working on a given stored procedure, they don't want me nagging them to check it in if it is a part of a larger piece of work, which will all be checked in together…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Do not use transactions but use bulk insert in order to reduce the get latest time. A 'flush and refill' approach using bulk insert should be faster in hours with 10K plus records.

A two processor, dual core computer with 8GB of RAM and a Windows experience index of 6.5 takes over 8 hours to get lates on 50K records.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Kendra responded

Thanks for this feedback and for the votes for this suggestion.

For users who need to manage larger volumes of static data, we currently recommend versioning the database with SQL Change Automation. SQL Change Automation has stronger support for static data:

• Supports column filtered static data tables in the SCA plugin in SSMS
    • Supports multiple post-deployment scripts, in case there is a preference to manage static data tables in dedicated post-deployment scripts
    • Allows approaches like bulk loading larger static data tables by supporting SQLCMD variables in migration and post-deployment scripts

I do understand that you are looking for this feature in SQL Source Control, but wanted to surface this option for other readers who may be interested in either tool.

12. History window should indicate the fact that some of the changes are covered by the migration scripts and provide the ability to view these scripts

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have been working on v2 of Migrations, which stores migrations scripts in a table valued function within the database. This table valued function appears in the history. An Early Access Release of SQL Source Control is now available and can be downloaded from http://documentation.red-gate.com/display/MV2.

NOTE: This is an Early Access Release and is not fully tested or functionally complete yet. It would be great if you could try it in a test environment and let us know about your experiences so we can fix any issues and try to make any updates you need before the full release.

Thank you!
    Stephanie Herr :-)
    SQL Source Control Product Manager

13. We frequently execute DB scripts on dev machines and servers, and when default constraints are created in SQL they are given a randomized name. Since we have SQL Source Control installed in the same environments, we always get conflicts about the constraints being named differently in the source control vs. the current machine. The ability to turn of conflict (or even change) notification about some things like constraint names is needed to avoid having to deal with each case individually.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

SQL Source Control’s Get Latest should be used in a dedicated model to update your different dev machines. This would keep the constraint names consistent in your dev environment.

You can use SQL Compare to deploy changes to other environments. SQL Compare has an option to ignore constraint and index names so that these differences won’t appear.

14. When I link a database to source control (TFS), and then open an object from the object explorer I would have expected the file script in source control to open in the management studio window. Instead it simply scripts the object from the database server. I don't think this is really sql source control, it seems more like a polished deployment engine.

When a database is linked to a TFS source location, it should open the TFS file no matter what you do in the object explorer.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ability to use custom templates, i.e. for table creation, to be able to add EXIST / DROP statements and permissions

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. In the diff panel, I would prefer to see the current version in source control on the left, and the database version on the right, as that's the same existing -> new order as all my other source control tools use. How about an option to do that (that would be remembered on restart of course)

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Being able to add our own commands that appear when you right click an object in SSMS.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. With 2.2 we now have the ability to create rule filters. However these are database specific. Need the ability to have a default set of rules, or copy rules from one database to another.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. One of the things that we have in all of tables is a "DateCreated" and "ModifiedBy". DateCreated is supposed to be the UTC time of the creation of the record. For Metadata supported by SQL Source Compare -- this is becoming the date the script was written, rather than the date the production goes live. We would like to state that the actual column should be replaced by GETDateUTC(), rather than the time the record was first created in development, and then we want to tell SQL Source Control to ignore the underlying column for comparison.

We want to be…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Just started using SQL Source Control - If I look at a database which is already withi subversion and I look at a table I can see that it has changes - It would be nice to be able to just right click on that table and select an option to 'View Changes' so that I can quickly see the changes which have been made to that table.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?