Skip to content

SQL Source Control

Welcome to the SQL Source Control feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Source Control at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Source Control, please review our support information http://redgatesupport.red-gate.com/home.

To get new features, performance improvements and bug fixes as soon as they’re available, you may want to turn on frequent updates: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-source-control/frequent-updates

SQL Source Control

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

587 results found

1. I like how SQL Source Control can show you that there is an uncommitted change to an object with a blue dot on the object. Could this be built upon by allowing users to right click on the object and then have an option there to show a diff between the current code and what is committed to source control? This would be the same results that you see when you go to the 'Commit' tab and select an uncommitted object. It would be very helpful to see that comparison easily.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. With Amazon RDS, the server names are changed each time an instance is created. If a dev instance is recreated monthly, and a testing instance is recreated daily, it is impossible to keep the connection to source control when the server names change.

The only way to get source control to work with our system is if it were able to connect to a static end point (dns record) rather than the server name itself

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Initial Setup  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. from http://country.io/continent.json you can have both countries to contenents and give Countries valid cities eg http://country.io/capital.json Which means if you can defined a key-value pair you can create more accurtate test data that placing "St Petersburg" in "Iceland" which is the current option.
    At worse if the json file was downloaded and 'mounted' as a table would be useful. But really JSON is the new datasource that Red-gate has to connect to.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Hello,
    I have a table with only one PK column of type nvarchar(200) which contains static data.
    Source Control keeps telling that there are changes even after saving the changes. It seems that it has some issues with the value s'

Database version:
    -- Only In Database

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N's''')

-- Identical

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'a')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'aan')
    INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N'aan de')

Latest source control version:
    -- Only In Source Control

INSERT INTO [dbo].[tab54Voorvoegsels] ([Voorvoegsel]) VALUES (N's''')
    --…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Static Data  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. After running get latest refresh intellisense and sql prompt cache.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. I've been told this is by design: When upgrading SQL Source control from say v5 to v6 all of the source control linked db configs are left behind in the previous AppData folder (%localAppData%\Red Gate\ SQL Source Control 5\ in my example) not moved to the new upgrade version folder (%localAppData%\Red Gate\ SQL Source Control 6)

This leaves a history of folders in every users profile, and for us 'from the beginning' users I've got v3-v6 folders that I shouldn't need.

I'm told this is for Network and rollback reasons.

I suggest a checkbox or some such thing during the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  History/Log  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Currently accessing the log of the version control system is very slow.
    On a good computer it takes me 20 seconds to open the view history from your menu.

To open the same log through tortoise svn it takes me 2 seconds to lokate the ex. "Open working base" under the "Under the hood menu" in Setup and 1 second to launch the tortoise SVN log viewer for the project.

Could you please consider adding a possibility to either open the history quicker, or alternatively allowing the user to open the version control log in an external viewer.

Maybe there…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When changing a data type used in a SP (e.g. add a new column to it and commit it). getting latest fails on other linked DBs. You have to drop the SP on the target DB.
    The weird thing is that sometimes it works, but most of the times it doesn't. Not sure why the behavior is not the same all of the times...

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide the capability to save the users last sort settings. For example on the Commit tab if I sort by last changed by (asd); the next time I go to the Commit tab it should be sorted by last changed by (asd).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Currently, SQL Source Control and SQL Compare have an option to "Ignore tSQLt framework and tests". We want to create our tests in dev and include them in our stage deployments for regression testing. The current setting ignores the framework AND our custom test code.

We want the Red Gate tools to ignore only the framework, but not the custom tests. We will manage the framework install separately. Ideally, there would be separate ignore checkbox rule options, one for the framework and another for our tests.

We have to set the current option to unchecked ("don't ignore") and then set…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. When displaying the Static Data differences in SQL Source Control it would be very useful to show the number of records that are Different/Identical/In Database Only/In Source Control Only.

When tables have thousands of records it can be difficult to know the scale of what you’re about to check in or get by just scrolling down a long list. A tab displaying the records for each distinct group would be even better.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We use SQL Source Control with TFS. It would beneficial if we could tie multiple task IDs to one commit and all changes would in one change set.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When adding an extended property to any table that contains non-varchar or -nvarchar extended properties, three lines of junk code are added to the bottom of the object script file for each of those extended properties (declaring a variable, setting that variable with a select, and a GO).

I believe that this may be related to an issue in the Compare engine that I already opened here https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare/suggestions/39729406-more-efficient-scripting-for-non-varchar-nvarchar — it's really beginning to seem like Compare and Source Control aren't usable unless your database modelling follows the pattern that Redgate expects. I don't think it should be that way round…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Using TFS where a reference to a bug or work-item is enforced as a check-in prerequisite. When typing in a comment, it's easy to forget the #A... rule. especially since TFS has a #[item number] rule without the "A". In adition it is not clear how to refer to multiple items.
    An extra field instead of "comment syntax" would make life easier.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. A tabular visualization with the differentiation between "added" (only in database), "changed" (on both sides existing but with different data) and "removed" (only in repository) would help to check the differences and with a possibility to select certain differences which should be committed, it would also be more efficient that different developers can commit only their own changes on a table, which is linked regarding static data.
    In addition a possibility to hide the unchanged columns in the tabular visualization would also be really good.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I would like to see my full committed change set history SSMS Source Control, with expanding it down to view the objects that got committed. Then see the committed object vs the current database. I don't want to select each object in the database to see what changed per an object. I need to see what change sets contain what objects and compare with the database. I've mocked image up what it should look like.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It would be nice if Source Control can split a database to multiple fragments (based on filters - for example per schema) and setup a repository folder for each fragment.
    The use case: we have many projects which are using always the same core tables and functions (for example notification, settings, user management, ...) and the others are custom specific in custom owned repositories. I want to simplify change tracking and version handling of these core elements and share them in a public repository so each customer can use them. Currently we are updating a core procedure and copy this…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. If from Get Latest / Commit changes it is determined that an object shouldn't exist, currently there is no way to drop the object from the db, or delete it from TFS, via the SQL Source Control UI.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I have a database managed in SVN. On my development machine I deleted it and then recreated it with the same name. RedGate maintained the link to SVN despite the drop (ok, doesn't bother me) but it then marked every object in the database as being in conflict

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a known issue. I’m glad you’re ok that the link to SVN is maintained. The problem is the underlying working folder is out of date.

WORKAROUND:
    Option 1)
    On the setup tab, unlink the db from source control. If you still want to manage the db in SVN, then relink.

Option 2)
    Use the Commit or Get Latest tabs to decide if you want to keep the version in your db and commit it or take the version that is in source control. After making a decision using the radio buttons in the differences pane at the bottom of these tabs, you must then click the Commit and/or Get Latest buttons to actually perform the action.

HINT: You can select multiple rows by selecting 1 row and then hitting Ctrl-A or select the top row and then hold the shift key down and select the…

20. Can we have a link to TortoiseSVN so we can review the repository from SSMS please?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?