Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

643 results found

1. SQL Prompt and SSMS do not have the option to create/remove block comments. This is a serious problem.

We SQL Prompt users would love the option to add/remove block comments in SQL, between the marks /* and */, because they sometimes serve very different purposes.

Inline comment options (Ctrl + K, Ctrl + C or Ctrl + K, Ctrl + U) are helpful, but they don't always do exactly what we need. Sometimes they can break things. See below.

/*
    Sometimes we need block comments that cover multiple lines.
    Like this.
    /
    /
    Or comments where each line begins and…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Bring back TAB History!!! In the meantime, in SQL History, show the query/tab on the preview right side pane while hovering over the query on the left side.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add the ability to specify a named formatting style using a comment block.

Add functionality to specify, in a comment block, what formatting style should be used when formatting the current file. It could be a simple addition to the existing turn-on/off formatting comment.

Perhaps something like this:
    --SQL Prompt Formatting On - Style = "My Style"

The above would turn on formatting and specify what style to use.

This functionality would be helpful in many ways.

• It is already convenient to have multiple formatting rules, this would keep the user from having to remember what rules apply to what…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Removing brackets from database names causes VS schema compare to indicate file differences because VS requires database reference variables to be enclosed in brackets. Need an option to exclude removal of brackets from database and server in three and four part names.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Please add the wildcard extension (select * => select col1, col2, ...) to SqlPrompt in ADS, the same as it works in SSMS.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add a menu Item option to unformat a query. In other words take the query that is highlighted or every query in the script and convert them to be on a single line with only a single space between keywords, words, and operators.
    This would be very useful for having to copy SQL into a table or other some object that shouldn't have normal formatting in it.
    An option would be to double up all single quotes, so that the query can be placed between single quotes.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. SQL Prompt does not start a new line for the SELECT portion of a CTAS statement within Azure Synapse Analytics when there is a defined distribution or index using a WITH clause. Instead the SELECT statement is tabbed way over to the right.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Using a shortcut to swap commented / uncommented lines in the sql script. This could be very helpful when we need to test (select / update) for the same source query.

Please check the screenshots

Thanks

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. SQL Prompt should allow block comments /* SQL Prompt formatting off */ to disable T-SQL formatting.

Single line comments are a pain when tuning queries. I would always use block comments in my code except when I don't want SQL Prompt to not mess with certain T-SQL it does not format to my standards.

Blocking formatting should support both type of comments.
    /* SQL Prompt formatting off */
    -- SQL Prompt formatting off

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. SQL Prompt should fully support Azure SQL Managed Instances. This includes offering suggestions for all objects (such as system functions, tables, views, etc) which are usable in Managed Instances. For example, CURRENTTIMEZONE and CURRENTTIMEZONE_ID (which were recently implemented in SQL Prompt, but only for Azure SQL Database). All other functions I've tried seem to be working fine, but it would be nice to know that Azure SQL Managed Instance is officially supported by SQL Prompt.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Scenario:
    If I run any select query where filed1=value1 etc, and it shows one or more rows in the grid below.
    Now I identify a required change and want to update that column value in a particular row.

Current Process:
    One option is to write an update query and change the column value.

The second option is to right-click on the table and go to edit but again it only shows a limited number of rows at a time.

Requirement:
    Option1: Allow right click on result grid and give the option to script the selected row/columns(s) as edit query.

Option2:…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When writing SQL, I frequently will create a variable within the statement before I have Declared the variable. It would be great if SQL Prompt offered a UI option to autogenerate the variable declaration.

For example, given the statement:
    SELECT * FROM dbo.Person WHERE Username = @Username
    I would like to use a shortcut key to auto generate and insert the declaration above the statement:
    DECLARE @Username VARCHAR(8);

For simple fields, the data type can be pulled directly from the field metadata. For expressions, derive the data type as SQL would if possible, or move the cursor to the data…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When I use SSMS to query the data and use "open in Excel", the exported “. Xlsx” is too old, which will cause the digital content to become 0 after WPS or other form software is opened. This problem has lasted for a long time. I hope your company can upgrade and handle it accordingly. Thank you Very Much

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I would like to set "not connected" tabs to a passive color like light gray to indicate they are not actively connected to a database. Current tab coloring is set by the connection, so this isn't possible. One possible implementation is to create an environment called "not connected" and then specifying NULL in the "SERVER" field.

This would be especially helpful for those who use SSMS's dark theme with SQL Prompt, because "not connected" tabs become nearly invisible with a black background and black font.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. One of the most tedious elements of writing T-SQL is handling of proper comparisons in the WHEN MATCHED AND ... THEN UPDATE clause of a MERGE statement.
    For example, to compare a single nullable target and destination column you should compare:

SRC.column <> TGT.column
    OR (SRC.column IS NULL AND TGT.column IS NOT NULL)
    OR (SRC.column IS NOT NULL AND TGT.column IS NULL)

I'm not sure on exactly how would be best to handle this but it would be great if SQL Prompt could somehow auto-populate these clauses. Or even better would be some way to generate an entire merge statement…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. At the moment a warning is given "Non-scalar subquery in place of a scalar" when trying to assign a variable to the result of a query filtered by the primary key column. In this case only one result can be returned so the warning appears inaccurate and wrapping the result in a TOP 1 { } ORDER BY statement seems an overkill just to remove the warning. This is kind of a special case however where the subquery contains only one table filtered with "=" on the primary key column, but it is a very common one.

Example:
    DECLARE @X…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It would be really nice if SQL Prompt had support for defining your own collapsible regions in the SQL code. Like C# in Visual Studio.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hello,

I try some Add ins for sql server and i found a very interesting and useful functionnality on Softtree sql assistant.
    When we have a very large Stored procedure for example, with several BEGIN and END , softtree have a functionality when i place the mouse on BEGIN to [Jump to end] to find the corresponding END, the opposite is also true, when i Place the mouse on END [Jump to begginning].
    This functionnlity is very very useful.
    I hope you consider developing the same functionality in your SQL Prompt.

Best regards,
    Luis

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I would like a hot key combination to send the contents of my current tab to 'Tab History' without having to close the tab. There are times that I know I will need the contents of the tab in the near future (within a few hours/days) and I don't want to have to save a hard copy to my disk.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I like the new feature to put recently-selected items at the top of the list for Intellisense. However, when I have typed an exact match, I would like to see Intellisense elevate that exact object to the top of the list.

For example, suppose I have recently selected a table named "dbo.OrderDetail", and suppose that there is another table in the same database called dbo.Order. With the new feature, I cannot access "dbo.Order" as the top candidate, because it is a partial match of "dbo.OrderDetail," and so SQLPrompt puts that name at the top.

In a nutshell, I would like…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?