Skip to content

SQL Prompt

Welcome to the SQL Prompt feature suggestion list. Find out more information about SQL Prompt at http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-prompt/.

If you have any questions, need help or have found a bug in SQL Prompt, please visit the forums or our support portal.

SQL Prompt

Categories

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

637 results found

1. When I use the OPENQUERY syntax to retrieve data across servers, SQL Prompt does not discover the metadata (column names, data types, etc.) of the fields returned.

My suggestion is that you add support within SQL Prompt to make metadata for fields retrieved by OPENQUERY available just like you do for linked servers.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. If I have more open tabs than can horizontally fit the window SSMS does not show all of them but instead there is a dropdown in the right upper corner. I would prefer if I could have multiple rows of tabs instead, like in VS. Since it does not seem likely that MS is going to implement that soon, can it be done in SQL prompt?

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. In SSMS 2016 you can now Pin tabs. When you close and re-open SSMS, it would be good if Tab History could remember, and restore, the pin status for each of the tabs as they are being restored.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. It would be nice to have some capabilities that exist in Excel 2013. Specifically the feature when you can highlight a column and then at the bottom of the application it gives you some quick statistics for the column. So if I had a column of numbers, and I highlighted the column in the results pane it would give me the Average of the numbers in that column and the sum of the numbers in the column. If the column was text you could see the count of distinct values in that column. This just gives quick access to statistical…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When working all day long with serveral SQL servers, its really annoying to click on "change connection" button + enter the server name you want to connect to, and enter credential.... It would be really great we we would have a "server connection list" where we could build into settings.... So i could add all my server i'm use to connect everyday, and specifying the USERNAME + PASSWORD + Default DB..... So in one-two click, i could switch to another server really quicly

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Bookmarks is a feature of SSMS. But all my bookmarks are destroyed once the code is formatted. So, as SSMS' feature is not so good as I want I do suggest to implement this feature by RedGate.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When debugging an UPDATE statement, it would be handy if SQL Prompt could generate a test Select script that converts

UPDATE xxxxxx
    SET SalesPeriod = dddddd,
    SalesYear = yyyy,
    CustomerCode = zzzzz

into

SELECT dddddd as SalesPeriod,
    yyyy as SalesYear,
    zzzzz as CustomerCode

Optionally, could include all columns involved in joins or WHERE clauses

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Hi,
    I really love the feature to just press F12 on SP and SQLPrompt opens a new query window with an alter script. It improves the productivity and it's a way easier then scrolling or filtering in the object explorer or using the tool tip by copy & paste the definition.

Do you know if there is any possibility to add the command "USE [DatabaseName]" at the top of the script. So, in case I need to switch my connection to a different server I don't need to select my database from the available database list drop down in SSMS.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add additional option for "remove unnecessary brackets" which would keep brackets around syntax highlighted words.
    "Status", "description", and "Type" are examples of special words that are syntax highlighted, but they aren't full reserved keywords, so would want the brackets kept.

How to configure and prevent SQL Prompt from removing brackets around Syntax highlighted words?
    We only have the following settings:
    a) Options > Inserted Code > Special Characters > Brackets > Enclose identifiers within square brackets [] = NO (which is our desire)
    b) Options > Format > Styles > Actions > run format > Add/remove square brackets = YES,…

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I think SSMSBoost has this feature: being able to add configurable guide lines to limit the query writing space to a specified number of characters/columns. This is very handy as I always want to keep my code narrow, within the 80-char limit. Currently, I have to install SSMSBoost for it... Could this please be added to SQL Prompt? This is probably a quick feature to implement and would be tremendously useful. Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Format SQL  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Within the Summarize Script pane, it would be helpful to differentiate between a SELECT statement (which returns output to the user) and a SELECT INTO statement (which creates a table and loads data into it).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The Tab Colouring system is brilliant, but I find that I am often working with more than one job at a time that are using the one Database. It would be of great benefit if I was able to Colour my Query Tabs based on which job they are for. i.e.: more than one colour available per Database.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. It would be perfect if we could change the keyboard shortcuts, I like to use Ctrl+Enter shortcut to execute current statement (like Oracle SQL Dev) and I can't change the default Shift+F5 on SQL prompt.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. After spending some time refreshing my memory on implicit conversions, and the potentially disasterous affects on performance, the thought hit me...

Wouldn't it be great if SQL Prompt could hightlight potential implicit conversions when I write JOINS or WHERE statements?

I'm not sure how easy this would be to implement but I know everyone at Red Gate is very intelligent and highly creative so you'll find a way. :-)

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I'm currently working on a database with some really complex calculations which are saved then in a table. Putting these formula in the MSDescription is a pain as it cannot be shown correctly in the appearing tooltip text.
    A nice Feature would be that I'm able to add a Hyperlink in the MS
    Description which is pointing to the document in our SharePoint Server (or Wiki or whereever...).
    Or - if this is not working, would it be possible to define a Special RedGate Attribute/Property (e.g. MSDescriptionRedGate) below the MSDescription which is containing a hyperllink and this…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hi, I think it would be useful to add support for multiple snippet folders to the SQL Prompt - Snippet Manager. I would use this by connecting to a set share of snippets that our team uses as well as having my own set of snippets that may be useful only to me.

Thanks for considering,
    James

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When the drop down appears with field names (like when you're typing in a WHERE clause), include a little icon for each field that's the first field in an index (like the key pic when it's the PK).

Being able to say "oh, that one has an index" would help me when trying to figure out how I want to filter things. (aka use "insertedtime" vs "posttime" vs the "start_time"). I'd say to use one icon (maybe greyed out) for non-clustered, and a different (or not greyed-out) icon for the clustered. You already include the field size, so…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When autocompleting a stored procedure statement in the format 'EXEC storedProc @param1 = 0, @param2 0' it would really help if the parameters would initially have the default values defined in the stored procedure (if applicable).

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add the ability to define groups of tabs that are used regularly for different jobs. For instance--there is a group of scripts I use for month end processing and a completely different set of scripts I typically have open for daily processing. Monthly statement preparation and troubleshooting comprise another set of scripts. I'd like to be able to name groups of tabs and retrieve them based on that named grouping, while still being able to go back to what I was doing before the "interruption" that caused me to need a different set of tabs open.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tab history  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Highlight a SELECT stmt and create a temp table definition from it. You often need to create #tables and you have a select to fill it with. However, you have to either create the #table manually or do a SELECT INTO into a real table and then script it out. It would be nice to be able to just take my SELECT and be able to get the #table definition for it.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?